In case you have not heard, bamboo is the new cotton, but better for so many reasons. We have started stocking the lovely bamboo clothing from the Panda and the Sparrow.
Here’s a quick list of why we (and they) love bamboo:
- First and foremost, as you would expect from a site with really eco in its name, we like bamboo because it is more sustainable than most textile fibres.
- It is also very eco friendly as it is the fastest growing plant in the world, it can grow up to a metre per day. This happens without any fertilisers, pesticides or even much water.
- Because it grows so fast it needs to be harvested more frequently and does not take up as much ground space as other harvested plants.
- Once harvested it can regrow again without the need of replanting. The yield you get from an acre of bamboo is ten times greater than that of cotton!
But it has a long list of other properties that make it the best choice for little babies.
- Bamboo is very comfortable for young ones, with a lot of people saying it is like silk or cashmere as it feels so soft and smooth- ideal for a baby’s sensitive skin.
- Bamboo is breathable, thermo regulating and absorbent so it helps to absorb and evaporate perspiration faster than any other fabric, which is also helpful with preventing odours and is 3-4 times more absorbent than cotton.
- Bamboo is antibacterial so bacteria do not live well in bamboo, and therefore it naturally stops the bacteria from spreading. Bamboo is also anti static, so will sit really well next to your baby’s skin, not clinging to it.
- Bamboo is naturally hypoallergenic so is non-irritating to the skin and helps ease irritations for sensitive or allergy prone skin. It’s also anti-fungal, many people say it’s the only solution they’ve found for problem skin. It is the perfect fabric for your baby’s sensitive skin, especially for those with eczema, allergies, dermatitis or other skin sensitivities.
- Bamboo is also UV protective, cutting out up to 98% of harmful UV rays so you don’t have to worry about sunny days and holidays.
That is an impressive list of properties but many people ask, “but what about the Pandas, don’t they need bamboo to eat?” Luckily bamboo is panda friendly because there are over 1000 species of bamboo tree however Pandas only eat about 20 of the species. So no food is being taken away from these beautiful and endangered animals.
Check out the lovely clothing here, and receive a 10% discount on anything bamboo you order from us until the end of July. This also includes the amazing green (how eco is that!) T-Rex made by Everearth!